Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Found a little free time

I've found a couple of days where I only have a test to take, so I have a little free time on my hands.

Last Sunday I changed topics from maturity to what it means to have faith as Paul uses it. It means four things:
1) Biblical faith is a trust that God can and will do what He says and not merely a belief that He exists and that He can do something
2) Biblical faith often times believes ideas that are absurd according to science and other forms of knowledge as God is a God who can and does do otherwise impossible things
3) Biblical faith does not grow weary with the passing of time, knowing that God may take 10s, 100s, or even 1000s of years to fulfill His promises
4) Biblical faith takes what it believes as a fact, and does not merely treat it as a good possibility. It does not prepare for what happens in case what is believed does not happen.

I am also preaching at the same churches for this coming Sunday and maybe the next. And while I appreciate the opportunity, I am sad as to why I have it. The pastor of the two Methodist churches is currently in the hospital and from what I heard there is a chance he may not make it. So keep that in your prayers.

Also, in my free time that I have had, I have managed to read N.T. Wright's book on Paul. A lot of interesting thoughts there, many of which I agree with, some of which I disagree with. The book definitely makes me more sympathetic to the "New Perspective" and I find myself agreeing with it to some degree. Perhaps I will write a review on it and expound my opinions on it a bit more later.

Finally, I may be becoming a student local pastor in the Methodist church.

No comments: