Tuesday, July 3, 2007

1 Corinthians 6:17 and the Trinity?

Amidst the many attempts to try to understand the nature of oneness the Holy Trinity, I have to ask whether there is an analogue to it with the relationship between the believer and Christ.

1 Corinthians 6:17:
But anyone united to the Lord becomes one spirit with him.

John 10:30:
The Father and I are one.

Now I know there is a context to each of these verses, but my simple question is, do these two verses have the same idea of oneness here? If so, then 1 Corinthians 6:17 could help us better shed some light on the nature of the Holy Trinity. Keep in mind also John 17:20-22.

John 17:20-22:
"I ask not only on behalf of these, but also on behalf of those who will believe in me through their word, that they may all be one. As you, Father, are in me and I am in you, may they also be in us, so that the world may believe that you have sent me. The glory that you have given me I have given them, so that they may be one, as we are one.

No comments: