Saturday, July 7, 2007

Restricting God

In theology, we must never speak of what God must does or how God must act. This speaks of God in a way that He is bound by something than higher than Himself. God is not bound by anything. He is perfectly free to act as He will. He was not obligated to create the world, nor was He obligated to offer a way for redemption. Nor is He obligated to love us.

What God does, God does because it is in His nature. He loves because His nature is in part to love. But He is not obligated to that. To say that is as if to say I can not possibly physically murder a person because of my nature. My nature is not that of a murderer and as a result I do not murder. But yet, I am not forcefully bound to choose not murder because of my nature. I could choose to go against my nature, but yet I do not and will not. The same with God.

Additionally, we must be careful not to restrict how God acts according to the laws God has given us. While yet, the way we are to act is to act like God is, we are not commanded to do the exact same things as God in all realms. We are commanded not to seek vengeance. Vengeance is God's realm. We are morally bound in some ways that God is not. God's nature and power is not restricted to the way we are morally bound.

To commit this error of a restricted God, either in being "forcefully bound" or being obligated because we are, is where plenty of errors in theology can creep in. A pure theology must never say how God must act, or restrict God in any way whatsoever. We should talk about God only in the way that He has shown Himself to us, either in revelation or other manners. But we must never use logic and reason to dictate God, nor use our moral obligation to restrict God either.

No comments: